IB is Turning 50!
The IB Middle Years Programme at MIS is only three years old, but the organization is turning 50 this year! We are proud to be a part of this international community. Read more about IB’s story and approaches to international education here.
McAuliffe Authorized as IB World School!
In September 2015, McAuliffe was authorized as an IB World School! These are schools that share a common philosophy – a commitment to high-quality, challenging, international education that McAuliffe International School believes is important for our students.
Prior to receiving official IB authorization, McAuliffe was in a three-year candidacy period, with a strict accreditation process throughout that time to ensure we are providing a high-quality IB education that meets all criteria. This 3-year candidacy process included a trial implementation of the Middle Years Programme, professional development for teachers, and a verification visit from IB consultants.
A big thanks to the whole staff and to our IB coordinator Stephanie Gronholz for her dedication leading the school through our successful candidacy and approval!
What is an IB World School?
For more information about what it means to be an IB World School, please see this Parent FAQs. International Baccalaureate’s web page for parents offers the following information about the organization’s unique qualities.
- IB Programmes are recognized around the world and ensure an increased adaptability and mobility for IB students.
- The curriculum and pedagogy of IB Programmes focus on international perspectives of learning and teaching, while insisting that students fully explore their home culture and language.
- IB World Schools must undergo an exhaustive authorization process in order to offer one or more of the programmes, which includes a study of the school’s resources and commitment to the IB mission /philosophy.
- IB teachers participate in a wide variety of professional development opportunities to constantly update their knowledge and share their expertise with colleagues around the world.
- This Approaches to Learning website provides more information about the set of skills and attitudes we want all IB learners to embrace.
- For more information about the Middle Years Programme specifically, including a video that provides an overview of the MYP, please go to http://www.ibo.org/myp
* Only schools authorized by the IB Organization can offer any of its three academic programmes: the Primary Years Programme (PYP), the Middle Years Programme (MYP), or the Diploma Programme (and in addition the IB Career-related Certificate). For further information about the IB and its programmes, visit http://www.ibo.org
IB Learner Profile
As described by the International Baccalaureate Organization, “The IB learner profile represents the 10 attributes valued by IB World Schools. We believe these attributes, and other like them, can help individuals and groups become responsible members of local, national, and global communities.” These traits include: Inquirers, Knowledgeable, Thinkers, Communicators, Principled, Open-Minded, Caring, Risk-Takers, Balanced, and Reflective.
At McAuliffe, students engage with these traits regularly through the curriculum, at morning meetings, and during service-learning activities. Even though all traits work in concert to support the learner, we focus on one trait each month. Please be sure to check the McAuliffe newsletter to learn more about our trait of the month and how you can support it at home.